Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., through his writings and his speeches, challenged all of us to find the courage to create positive change in a troubled world. He taught us the importance of listening to and learning from others. He shared his dream, offering a glimpse of what was possible. He inspired generations to chart a course of action, to have real impact. Every year at the MLK Celebration, a group of Unsung Heroes is honored by Syracuse University for their selfless dedication to their community and for embodying the vision of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Nominations for Unsung Hero Awards at the 2019 MLK Celebration are now closed. Thank you to everyone who took the time to recognize the hardworking people in our community. The Unsung Hero Awards committee will soon announce the winners here on mlk.syr.edu and in SU News. All are welcome and encouraged to attend the event on Jan. 27, 2019, to support the awardees. Click here to purchase tickets!
What is an Unsung Hero? A person who:
- Works hard to improve their community, city and the world.
- Makes or made a positive difference in the lives of others.
- Has not received widespread recognition for their efforts.
All nominees will belong to 1 of the following 5 categories:
- Youth (age 18 or younger)
- Community Member
- Syracuse University or SUNY-ESF student
- Syracuse University or SUNY-ESF faculty
- Syracuse University or SUNY-ESF staff
For questions regarding Unsung Hero Awards, please contact Syeisha Byrd at email@example.com.