NARRATIVE ABOUT THE STUDENT BEING NOMINATED
The Syracuse University Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration Committee in collaboration with Syracuse City School District, Parent University, Onondaga Community College, and Maker hall Fair is looking for students who have made a positive difference in the lives of others in their schools, and exemplify the teaching of Dr. King. The award will be presented during the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Celebration to be held Saturday, January 30, 2016 in one of the Syracuse City Schools.
An exemplary student (K-12) who exemplifies the spirit, life, and teachings of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Past recipients have been recognized for their leadership, scholarship, advocating for peace and justice, building bridges between students, raising funds or awareness for a cause, etc.
We seek your schools help in identifying recipients for this award. We are looking for youth who have made a positive difference in the lives of others.
Awardees from each school will receive:
– Framed certificate
– Special book related to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Recognized at the Community Celebration on January 30, 2016; and your name will be printed in the program booklet of the Dr. King Dinner Celebration held at the Dome on Sunday, January 31, 2016.
Nominations can be submitted online at mlk.syr.edu or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING NOMINATIONS IS FRIDAY, DECEMBER 18 2015.
Thank you for your time and contributions that enable the University to recognize outstanding members of the Central New York community.
Please answer the below question. Be as specific as possible on how the nominee’s work exemplifies the spirit, life and teachings of Martin Luther King Jr. Any Additional supporting materials may be included.
1. How does this student embody Dr. King’s legacy?
2. What contributions have your nominee made to impact their community?
3. Why should the nominee be publicly recognized for their accomplishments?
4. Please give us three words that mark your nominee as a hero.
5. What does your nominee do that makes his/her class, neighborhood, community … or even the world … a better place?
6. What is it about your nominee that gives you real hope for the future?
7. Close your eyes and think of your nominee. What makes this individual shine in your mind’s eye?
Applications at due by December 18, 2015
Email to Marissa L Willingham at email@example.com
MLK Youth Nomination Form for Unsung 2016
Complete online: Youth Unsung Hero Application